RainWindSun - Renewable Energy Swindon Wiltshire

Huntersbrook House, Hoggs Lane, Purton, Wiltshire SN5 4HQ - Tel: 01793 772277 - email

Energy Performance Certificates
and the Feed-in Tariff

Rain Wind Sun are fully qualified to carry out and complete all your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) requirements.

To get FITs at the standard rate for solar PV your property needs to have an Energy Performance Certificate of band D or better.

If you have an EPC which shows that your property is a band E, F or G you will need to carry out energy efficiency improvements before you apply for the FITs or receive the FIT at the lower rate of 9p/kWh for the lifetime of the tariff, currently 25 years.

If you have no EPC, you can use the tools on the Energy Saving Trust website to get an indication of the EPC band for your property and suggestions of what you can do to improve the energy efficiency of your property to gain a higher EPC band rating, before you pay to get an EPC done.

New rules on the payment of the Feed-in Tariff (FITs) for solar PV installations are coming into force on 1st April 2012. From that date you are required to send to your FITs supplier an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) showing that your property has an EPC band D or better at the time of your application to receive the standard rate of FITs of 21p/kWh (for a system under 4kWp) rather than the lower rate of 9p/kWh.

If your property is a band E or less when you first apply for FITs then you will receive the FIT at the lower rate. Note that even if you improve your property’s EPC band to a D or higher at a later date you will still get the lower rate.

This requirement applies only to new solar PV systems and extensions of existing solar PV systems installed from 1st April 2012. This is not a retrospective requirement for existing solar PV systems. At a later date these requirements may also apply to wind turbines and micro-CHP (both currently under consultation).

What is an EPC?

Much like the multi-coloured sticker on new appliances, EPCs tell you how energy efficient a building is and give it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). They let the person using the building know how costly it is likely to be to heat and power, and what carbon dioxide emissions there will be. Once produced EPCs are valid for ten years. The EPC will also state what the energy efficiency rating could be if improvements are made, and highlights cost-effective ways to achieve a better rating.

How do I get an EPC?

Rain Wind Sun provide EPC certificates. We will send a fully qualified trained surveyor to inspect your property and then send you your EPC certificate along with the recommendations to you.

How much does an EPC cost?

EPC Certificates cost from £60.

If you would like more information or would like Rain Wind Sun to complete and EPC, please contact us on 01793 772277 or email enquiries@rainwindsun.com